Monday, September 26, 2011

The Mother of Invention

I wanted a fusion of the 20's and 80's for a headpiece to wear to an upcoming wedding, but had a really limited color palette due to the wild fabric from which I'd made my dress. I also wanted bling, but only a diamond-colored brooch was available.

Luckily for me, markers made my diamonds into rubies:

colored-in with a regular permanent marker

after a couple of "coats" of marker ink, applied with the pen

... and slapped onto a quickly-made feather pad

C'est finis! Took all of, oh, five minutes?

The red came off with nail polish remover later too, so now it can turn into sapphires, or emeralds, or imaginary stones of whatever shades I could wish. I wouldn't do this for sale-able pieces, but it's been great fun for personal costume-y things!

Cheers,
F

2 comments:

  1. Your marker trick is brilliant! I didn't know that could be done. Lovely project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. heh! i didn't know either, 'til i gave it a go. glad you liked it :)

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think; comments make me happy!