Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Priming, or Do What I Say, Not What I Do

This is not the most exciting post, but it is the most enthusiastic.
Please, for the love of all that's holy, please, please 
prime your wooden furniture well before you try painting it. 

This is the parable of my bedside table.

I started with this old wooden thrift store table, and sanded it to remove the (many) dings:


Next, I found an easy, lovely guide on the inestimable Young House Love site for painting wooden furniture. Their instructions are perfectly clear and simple; sand, prime well, paint, seal (optional) and let dry. 

Here are images of steps one through 9:

Wait, what that's you say? 
You see only four steps? 

If your wood is as dark and your primer as sloppy as I let mine stay in the above, be prepared to have to put on a hundred thousand coats of your paint before you start to make those dark stripes above disappear. 

The moral? Prime evenly, then experience painting like a normal person, without giving the appearance of being a trichotillomaniac. 

oooh. shiny.

Though next time I plan on taking more care, the final product is day-glo lovely in my bedroom. 

Here's a pic of the area in its natural state:


So, if you paint, have fun and be good.

Cheers,
Flynn!

2 comments:

  1. A bit off topic, but that comforter in the last shot is gorgeous; I love all the bright colors swirled about!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Ashley! It's from Pottery Barn; all the little bits are made to look like they've been cut from paint chips, with the numbering included. I love it :)

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think; comments make me happy!