Saturday, February 19, 2011

Victory Rolls - Series

Oh, victory rolls, how do I love thee? Or maybe just why?

It's not 80's, but it's big. It's not a chignon, but it's fancy. It doesn't involve anything more than pins and time. This was a recessionista hair style in the black and white days, and I think it can be now as well.

The rolls are surprisingly easy to do, but the volume takes some time to get right. Luckily, the internet has come to my rescue! There are so many great tutorial videos out there, it's hard to choose.

If you have shoulder-length hair or longer, you're already in the home stretch. However, if you (like me) have chin-length hair, you need to pay attention to where you place the curls before you give this a go or you'll end up looking more Bea Arthur than Betty Grable.

Pin curls work really well but, if you have them, I've had luck with sponge rollers as well. I tried doing this several ways and I learned a few things about what works best for my shorter hair.

There's definitely no single way to do this, and a lot of the instructions differ. The way I do mine is a cobbled-together version of several methods. If you try this yours will probably vary from mine at least as much as mine does from the instructions I'm using. I'll be posting pics from three different methods to show you which I had luck with. I hope you'll pick what looks like fun to you and try it out!

Cheers,
Flynn

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think; comments make me happy!