Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Plastic Leather

I don't quite remember why, but I have a square yard of darkish orange pleather in my possession. It's not shiny, but quite fake, and quite orange. I think it longs to be a carry-all. 

However, I am Captain Brokeness right now. I've found a few good free patterns on the web, but the material choice would take all of them in really different directions than the versions shown do at present.

The ones I'm deciding between are as follows:

The lena - Simple, modern, quick to sew. 
A really graphic lining fabric choice could also get it away from just being a big fake leather bag:

The traveler's bag - oh so gym class retro! 
I could take this anywhere, but probably not use it as a purse:

The estelle  - I've had good luck with this pattern.
This particular version of it is also sans purse straps, which was the hard part:

I'm also intrigued by the idea of doing something of this sort
Though I'd definitely have to make the pattern myself, it's got a great shape:

Thoughts? Suggestions? 
Completely different ideas for what to do with this sort of material?
Let me know!

4 comments:

  1. There was a time, not so long ago, when you suggested "Yeah, but that's for pleather" when someone said something about a $45 bondage suit. Just sayin.

    That aside, I really like the estelle and think you should line it with something like fuschia?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hah! What on earth were we talking about?! (Even if I wanted to, I think that sort of, ah, ... active wear is a bit beyond my skill level ;)

    Thanks for the input on the lining, especially - I have trouble pairing colors sometimes. Fuchsia is a fantastic idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. captain brokeness- can i be your ship mate because i feel your pain?
    i responded to your question on my blog in the comments, but after checking out the link i provided, you may want to discuss more. there's a lot of grey areas on the subject...
    i'd love to hear your thoughts. email me.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think; comments make me happy!