Thursday, November 4, 2010

Two-dollar, twelve-hour birthday sweater

I wanted to embellish a sweater for my bff's birthday but, being ludicrously broke and not an appliqué fan, I needed to give dimension to something cheap and flatflatflat.

I looked for a really large thrift store sweater that would give me a lot of fabric to play around with and was ugly enough to justify cutting it to pieces. Boy, was I overwhelmed; ugliness abounds in this area of the Goodwill.

So, I forgot to take 'before' pictures (doh!). I looked around online but couldn't find a good example of the level of weirdness the original achieved. You'll just have to imagine an e-n-o-r-m-o-u-s, two-dollar, Cato brand, high-boatneck maternity sweater in a truly unfortunate shade of green. Ehhhhhxcelent!

First step was dying it to get it away from the 'meh' color it'd been originally:


The next step was to cut off the sides, sleeves and bottom four inches pf the hem. I sewed the latter into a ruffle. 

Next, I pinned and cut the neckline away from the original, attached the ruffle and re-attached the sleeves. 

The sweater still needed something, so I embroidered two fern fronds on the front in sliver to finish it.

C'est finis!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think; comments make me happy!